Lacamas Park- Mountain Biking

Date: June 11, 2009
Distance: 4 miles or so
Elevation Gain: 200 ft
Time: 1.25 hours
Difficulty: Moderate (I would have called it an easy hike, but on a bike it was not easy for me!)
Weather: 70 and cloudy.
Maps: Park Map
My Route:
No real route or plan, we just explored the park
Notes:
Lacamas Park is beautiful! I don't know why I don't spend more time here! The trails are all well maintained and all around enjoyable with pretty scenery, especially near the lake and creek. Despite being a city park in the middle of town, it really feels like a forest, no traffic noise or vistas overlooking the paper mill.

There are some steep rolling hills, not much for elevation gain, but enough that I had to walk my bike more than a few times! This was a mountain biking trip and it was about at the limit of my biking abilities. I gained some skill and confidence on the bike, especially going downhill.

The park was surprisingly empty. We saw more bikers than walkers and some of the more narrow trails I was glad of the emptiness as I could imagine some serious collisions.

There are a few trails that don't allow bikes and I'm eager to get out and check those out sometime soon. My favorite thing about Lacamas Park is that its small. That may sound strange, but it's a nice feeling to know you can explore whatever trail looks like fun and know you'll not accidentally stray too far or get lost.

Trail Head:

View PDX Day Hiker in a larger map Bathrooms and water at the trail head.
What I said about these trails before: Lacamas Lake Park
Other resources for this and other nearby hikes:
Clark County Parks and Recreation
Portland Hikers
Camas City Parks
100 Hikes in Northwest Oregon (100 Hikes) Hike #11
Afoot & Afield Portland/Vancouver: A Comprehensive Hiking Guide Trip #5

Overall: ★★★

Have you been on this or a nearby trail? Please share your experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment