Angel's Rest

Date: May 30, 2009
Distance: 4.5 miles
Elevation Gain: 1,400 ft
Time: 2.25 hours
Difficulty: Moderate
Weather: Hot, mid 80s with no wind, not even at the top.
Maps: This is the standard map they have posted at the trail head. Note, it is not to scale.
My Route: Angel's Rest Trail (#415)
Trail Head:

View PDX Day Hiker in a larger map>There are no water or restrooms at the trail head.
Notes:

It was a hot day! I was hoping for a cool breeze at the top, but no nothing. I was glad to have brought 2 liters of water because I polished off my first bottle on the rocky slabs about a quarter mile from the top. Then chugged some more while sitting on the bench admiring the view. The top of Mt Adams peaks out over the hills to the North East and the river winds around to the west. Overall, I'm bummed with myself for letting the spring season pass by without much time on the trails. I tend to get grumpy in the heat and am less likely to enjoy the workout. When I got back to the trail head, around 5, after a stretch I drove up to Multnomah Falls where I was lucky enough to find a parking space. I hit up the restroom there, refilled my water bottles for the drive home and enjoyed an ice cream cone on the bridge. Perfect cool down!

Aside from the heat it was a pretty standard day on Ange's Rest. The main parking area was full when I arrived at 2:30 and I got one of two open spots in the overflow lot. Strangely though, the trail didn't seem particularly crowded. Larkspur and Oregon wild irises were blooming and brightly purple, especially in the shady lower parts of the trail, with cow parsley just starting to open up.

The trail is mostly dirt with some areas of rock, especially toward the end. To get up to the peak of the hill is a short scramble over some boulders. Usually I see plenty of people with dogs up there, however one time I did this hike with a friend and her older dog wasn't able to pass the big patch of rocks toward the top.

Just keep walking until you get to that flat part way up there.

This trail is pretty strait forward and easy to follow. Just keep going up hill for 2.3 miles, once you get to the summit take some time to wander around, being careful, there are some tricky steps out along the edge. There are overgrown spur trails here and there but it's always obvious which way to go. There is only one intersection. Right near the top, the gorge trail comes in from the right, but you have to be looking for it to see it.
Stay left here to go to Angel's Rest.

This is one of my regular hikes, it's always a winner because it's close enough to town and short enough that I can squeeze it in on a busy weekend. It also tends to be crowded, which is sometimes annoying but make me feel safe enough to do this one solo on occasion.

What I said about these trails before: Angel's Rest
Other resources for this and other nearby hikes:
Portland Hiker
Local Hikes
NW Hiker
Forest Service
60 Hikes within 60 Miles: Portland, 2nd (60 Hikes - Menasha Ridge) Hike #1
Best Short Hikes in Northwest Oregon Hike # 32
Portland Hikes: The Best Day-Hikes Within 100 Miles of Portland Hike #11
100 Hikes in Northwest Oregon & Southwest Washington, 3rd Edition Hike #38

Overall: ★★

Have you been on this or a nearby trail? Please share your experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment