Dog Mountain

Date: 6/28/09
Distance: 6 miles
Elevation Gain: 2800 ft
Time: 4 hours
Difficulty: Difficult
Weather: Nice warm day, windy in the exposed areas. Clouds at the top blew away just in time (around 10:45)
Maps: The best online map I could find is at NW Hiker.
My Route:
Up and back on the "standard" less difficult trail.
Notes:
We started out earlier than I'm used to and it really paid off. We arrived at the trail head about 8:15 and it was just a bit chilly and windy out. But it was plenty warm in the woods. There were some clouds blowing around up high, and we walked through them just before we got to the top. The timing was perfect. As we ate our sandwiches and chatted with some other hikers, the gray wall of clouds surrounding us dissipated to expose the dizzying height of the summit and classic gorge views.

Sadly, I didn't think to charge my camera battery, and only got one photo before it died.

Viewpoint about 1/2 way to the summit, looking West at Wind Mountain.

Dog Mountain is known for spectacular wild flower displays in May and June. There were a few flowers left, mostly cow parsnip and balsamroot with a few patches of Indian paintbrush and lupines.

We hiked up and down on the less difficult Dog Mountain Trail. In the past I've gone up the Dog Mountain Trail and down the Auspurger trail. I think I prefer taking the longer Auspurger trail down as it's easier on the knees.

In all, the hike felt great. It didn't seem nearly as difficult as I remembered from previous years, probably because we weren't walking in the heat of the day. Or maybe I'm in better shape that I think I am.

Dog Mountain is one of the most popular hikes in the area. It is often crowded and I've seen a lot of people on it who weren't prepared for the steep gravel trail. This probably isn't the best choice for your first hike of the season, nor a good introduction to hiking for your couch potato friend.
Trail Head:

View PDX Day Hiker in a larger map Restroom at Trail Head. $5 parking, or parking pass (NW Forest Pass)
What I said about these trails before: Dog Mountain
Other resources for this and other nearby hikes:
Local Hikes
NW Hiker
Portland Hiker
Hiking Upward
Gifford Pinchot National Forest
Guidebooks:
60 Hikes within 60 Miles: Portland, 3rd: including the Coast, Mount Hood, St. Helens, and the Santiam River (60 Hikes - Menasha Ridge) Hike #15
Hiking the Columbia River Gorge, 2nd (Regional Hiking Series) Hike 48
100 Hikes in Northwest Oregon & Southwest Washington, 3rd Edition Hike #34
100 Hikes in Washington's South Cascades and Olympics: Chinook Pass, White Pass, Goat Rocks, Mount St. Helens, Mount Adams (100 Hikes In...) Hike #64
Best Hikes With Dogs in Western Washington: Western Washington Hike #80
Best Wildflower Hikes Washington (Best Hikes) Hike #50
Day Hiking, South Cascades: Mt. St. Helens / Mt. Adams / Columbia Gorge (Done in a Day) Hike #121
Afoot & Afield Portland/Vancouver: A Comprehensive Hiking Guide Trip #2


Have you been on this or a nearby trail? Please share your experience.

1 comment:

  1. Maybe I spoke too soon about being in great shape. I'm sore today.

    ReplyDelete