Cosumnes River Preserve - California

This hike is not within the Portland area!

Date:
August 19, 2009
Distance: about 1 mile
Elevation Gain: flat
Time: 40 minutes
Difficulty: Super Easy
Weather: Hot and sunny
Maps: Cosumnes River Preserve Map
My Route:
Lost Slough Wetlands Walk
Notes:
My trails.com subscription came in handy on a business trip to California's central valley, I found find a place to hike: Cosumnes River Preserve. Unfortunately the River Walk trail closed for construction on the day I visited and will be closed for the next week. So my outing was cut from a 4 mile walk to just 1. And that 1 was mostly paved. Yeah, not even sure if you can call it a hike, a walk in the park is more accurate.

The preserve is quite nice. I was there in the evening, so I missed the open-hours of the visitor's center, but from the windows it looked to have some good displays.

Lost Slough

The lost slough loop is paved, with a 1/4 mile boardwalk that wanders out into the wetlands. The whole loop is wheelchair accessible. The route had numbered markers, part of some interpretive self-guided tour. Since I didn't arrive in time to get into the visitor's center I didn't get the corresponding materials. Even without a guide I was impressed with the pretty wetland scenery and took my time watching birds and enjoying the sunshine. My favorite part was the boardwalk.
Boardwalk through (dry) wetlands

Wildlife sitings: 1 rabbit (Desert cottontail), 1 great white egret, many other unidentified birds including some kind of vulture, bunches of huge dragonflies.
Bridge decorations, I was hoping this would be some adorable bird that I might see. I later learned that bosmina are nearly-microscopic crustaceans. I didn't see any.

Trail Head:

View PDX Day Hiker in a larger map
Restrooms at the Visitor's center
What I said about these trails before: Other California hikes
Other resources for this and other nearby hikes:
Cosumnes River Preserve Website
Guidebooks:
Hike America Northern California (Hike America Series) I had printed out the map from this book and found it to be out of date.
60 Hikes within 60 Miles: Sacramento (60 Hikes - Menasha Ridge)
Top Trails Sacramento: Exploring Valley, Foothills, and Mountains in the Sacramento Region (The Top Trails)

This hike was part of Hike-A-Thon 2009, a fundraiser for Washington Trails Association. All my hike-a-thon posts are here. My fundraising page is here.

Have you been on this or a nearby trail? Please share your experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment