Lacamas Park

Date: October 11, 2009
Distance: 3 miles or so
Elevation Gain: 200 ft
Time: 1 hour
Difficulty: Easy
Weather: cold and sunny.
Maps: Park Map
My Route:
No real route or plan, we just explored the park
Notes:
I am dog-sitting for a dog who isn't in great shape (my friends recently adopted him from a shelter and he's just getting into a healthy lifestyle and getting up to a healthy weight) so tried to find a hike that wouldn't be too much for him. I chose Lacamas Park because it offered a flat-ish walk in the woods that we could make longer or shorter depending on how the dog seemed to be doing.

Lacamas Park is beautiful! Despite being a city park in the middle of town, it really feels like a forest, no traffic noise or vistas overlooking the paper mill. Currently the water level in round lake is pretty low.

The trails are all well maintained and all around enjoyable with pretty scenery, especially near the lake and creek. There are some rolling hills, not much for elevation gain, but enough to feel like exercise.

My favorite thing about Lacamas Park is that its small. That may sound strange, but it's a nice feeling to know you can explore whatever trail looks like fun and know you'll not accidentally stray too far or get lost. I've been mountain biking in this park regularly through the summer, and so I feel I know my way around. We walked roughly the reverse of the route I normally bike, so it was it was a fresh perspective.

Trail Head:

View PDX Day Hiker in a larger map Bathrooms and water at the trail head.
What I said about these trails before: Lacamas Lake Park
Other resources for this and other nearby hikes:
Clark County Parks and Recreation
Portland Hikers
Camas City Parks
Guidebooks:
100 Hikes in Northwest Oregon (100 Hikes)
Afoot & Afield Portland/Vancouver: A Comprehensive Hiking Guide


Have you been on this or a nearby trail? Please share your experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment