Angel's Rest

Date: Feb 7, 2010
Distance: 4.6 miles
Elevation Gain: 1,400 ft
Time: 2.5 hours
Difficulty: Moderate
Weather: partly cloudy in the 50s, warm for February
Maps: This is the standard map they have posted at the trail head. Note, it is not to scale.
My Route: Angel's Rest Trail (#415)

Notes:
The main parking area was full when we arrived at 2:30 and I got one of a few open spots in the overflow lot. I guess we weren't the only one's with the bright idea to go hiking on Superbowl Sunday. The trail seemed even more crowded than usual.
The rocks get interesting toward Angel's Rest

Wow, Angel's Rest is more of a workout than I'd remembered. I guess that's my fault for not doing any hikes with elevation gain in a few months. Interestingly, I could feel a significant difference in my right and left calves and ankles, I think from snowboarding recently. Also, my knees feel much better than I would have expected, I think that's also from building up some muscle snowboarding. We took plenty of breaks on the walk up and were all shedding layers by the time we got to Coopey falls. I drank nearly a full liter of water on the way up.
Blue sky!

The view from the top was great today! The partly cloudy sky gave some interest and contrast and reflected in the river below. We spent a good quarter hour or more at the top, taking photos and admiring the views. We made it back to the parking lot around 5:10, just before sundown and in time to catch some color in the sky on the drive home.

Clouds in the Columbia

The trail is mostly dirt with some areas of rock, especially toward the end. Being Febrary, it was mostly muddy with a few mucky spots and a few slick spots. To get up to the peak of the hill is a short scramble over some boulders, which were thankfully not slick. This route is pretty strait forward and easy to follow. Just keep going up hill for 2.3 miles. There are overgrown spur trails here and there but it's always obvious which way to go. There is only one intersection. Right near the top, the gorge trail comes in from the right, but you have to be looking for it to see it. Once you get to the summit take some time to wander around, being careful, there are some tricky steps out along the edge. You can't really get lost at the top, just don't walk off any cliffs.
Flirting with Sunset

Trail Head:

View PDX Day Hiker in a larger map
There are no water or restrooms at the trail head.

What I said about these trails before:
Angel's Rest hikes
Other resources for this and other nearby hikes:
Portland Hiker
Local Hikes
NW Hiker
Forest Service
Guidebooks:
60 Hikes within 60 Miles: Portland
Best Short Hikes in Northwest Oregon
Portland Hikes: The Best Day-Hikes Within 100 Miles of Portland
100 Hikes in Northwest Oregon & Southwest Washington, 3rd Edition

Have you been on this or a nearby trail? Please share your experience.

6 comments:

  1. WOW!

    Fantastic blog!

    I just started a hiking blog at http://www.ultimatehikingblog.blogspot.com

    You should check it out! The latest article is about the Cinque Terre!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The elevation is great. I love it. No wonder the parking lot was full, many people are enjoying the place. Maybe one day I will be the one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. Great site. Thank you so much for sharing this beautiful destination sounds like it has it all and can make the whole group happy! I can't wait for a chance to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You took such great pictures! It's such a really enticing place. I would really love to go there myself. I know I'll enjoy it a lot. I just hope there will be less people by the time I get there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Angel's Rest is a good hike. I like some of the other ones in the area like Punchbowl Falls and Triple Falls. Good pictures!

    ReplyDelete